With the plenty anxious, or lackluster feeling- happiness can sometimes go out of your reach. The faded smile from your face might make your life the one you have chosen but you are not here alone. In fact, as per the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, “There are more than 20M American adults having a mood disorder”.
Do you know the reason behind the “not-so-good” feeling you frequently have? It is the lack of the four major chemicals in your brain that influences your happiness, i.e. Dopamine, Oxytocin, Serotonin, and Endorphins. These chemicals are responsible to create a desirable state of the brain altogether. While others also have a major role to make you happy, however, if you’re in a good mood- you’ve mostly got Serotonin to thank for.
Table of Contents
10 Best Happy Pills
With well-placed bio-hacks, you can take your mood to the new level. Here are the best supplements that act as natural remedies to overcome depression, anxiety, and stress and as a result make you relaxed and happy.
1. 5- HTP
5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a precursor to serotonin, the neurotransmitter responsible for boosting happiness, emotional well-being, and melatonin (for healthy sleep). Your body makes 5-HTP from the amino acid tryptophan but can sometimes struggle with converting it all the way into that happy chemical. Supplementing with 5-HTP — which readily crosses the blood-brain-barrier to where you need it most — is the easiest way to organically support balanced levels of the mood-lifting neurotransmitter serotonin.
- Dose: 100-300 mg per day.
- Intake Time: 1-3 100mg capsules throughout your day.
- Warnings: Take it with an EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) supplement, also found in green tea and don’t used as a long-term solution for depression.
2. IU Vitamin D3
Sunshine manufacture vitamin D in our body- those dwelling in nudist colonies may produce enough vitamin D. But the rest of us don’t have that benefit- 3 out of 4 American adults are vitamin D deficient.
Supplement vitamin D results increase in serotonin, the “happy hormone”.
- Dose: 1,000 IU Vitamin D3 per 25 pounds of body weight.
- Intake Time: In the morning
- Tips & Warnings: For brown-skinned 1,500 IU / 25 pounds of body weight is needed
This amino acid goes in your brain as a building block to increase the neurotransmitters epinephrine, dopamine, and norepinephrine to boosts your mood. Dopamine, “feel good” neurotransmitter is responsible for the happy feel related with experiences as sex or hugs. Epinephrine and norepinephrine are needed for responding to stress.
L-tyrosine helps you stay cool in stressful situations and reduces negative mental effects. It is also believed to enhance cognitive performance in stressful situations.
- Dose: 500-2000mg L-tyrosine per day.
- Intake Time: whenever you want.
- Warnings: L-tyrosine may lead to producing the thyroid hormone thyroxin i.e. excess supplement you might get hyperthyroidism or Graves disease
Glutathione helps to detox and protecting your cells from the inflammation that triggers oxidative stress. Our brain is vulnerable to oxidative stress- oxidative stress plays a big role in psychiatric disorders. A glutathione supplement as the brain’s extra stress-defense is the best way to prevent oxidative stress.
- Dose: 1000+ mg daily
- Intake Time: 2-3 capsules daily
- Warnings: Take it along with Vitamin C for better performance.
Theanine – the amino acid derivative (also found in green tea) triggers the release of gamma-aminobutyric acid. GABA activates the neurotransmitters that promote relaxation and reducing anxiety. But the human body has difficulty absorbing supplements having synthesized GABA. That’s why theanine- which can be easily absorbed by the body is recommended.
- Dose: 600 mg daily
- Intake Time: Multiple times a day
- Warnings: It is harmful to people with cancer as Theanine can decrease the efficiency of chemotherapy drugs.
6. Zinc and Copper Orotate
Zinc deficiency triggers mood changes and memory disorders. It upregulates the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor a protein used to regulate mood and stress.
As per one Australian study, participants who had zinc intake in the diet has 30-50% lower chance of having depression. Combined with copper, zinc doses can boost up your mood with least side effects.
- Dose: 15mg zinc orotate with 1-2mg copper orotate per day.
- Intake Time: Once daily with a meal
- Tips & warnings: Avoid combining with meals high in iron, calcium, and phytates (can decrease absorption of zinc) and higher does use to vegans is recommended.
7. Methyl Folate + B12
Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience says “around 30% of depression patients are folate-deficient”. Due to a mutation in the MTHFR gene, some people don’t produce the enzyme that converts folate into its bioactive form. Such Folate deficiency results in lower serotonin, the mood-boosting neurotransmitter while folate supplementation increases the effectiveness of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors both.
- Dose: 800mcg DFE of folate, with 5mg+ of Methyl-B12
- Intake Time: Daily once daily with food.
- Warnings: Always use Methyl folate with vitamin B12
8. Modafinil (Provigil)
Modafinil enhances dopamine releases and binds to your receptors. This is similar to the function of other stimulants but it doesn’t cause any addiction or withdrawal symptoms. It does increase problem-solving abilities, focus, and wakefulness. But you cannot buy it without the physician’s prescription.
Armodafinil- a more purified form of modafinil is also equally effective.
- Dose: 50-200 mg,
- Intake Time: In the morning
- Warning: some may get life-threatening immune reaction to modafinil.
Keto-prime-a powerful nootropic contains oxaloacetate. Oxaloacetate is a compound which can shield your brain from environmental toxins to make you feel relaxed. It protects rodents from the glutamate-induced brain damage.
ketoPrime is a great way to boost your brain and your mood.
- Dose: 1 lozenge
- Intake Time: taken in the morning
- Warning: Make it regular in the morning and never miss a dose
This increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels – even more than exercise. BDNF is important for neuroprotein which increase neuroplasticity for creating new neurons that result in better memory and mood. This gives the immediate boost to your mood.
- Dose: 1 cap
- Intake Time: Taken in the morning with or without food
- Warning: It is only effective for a few hours after taking the pills
These happy pills can sometimes be the best thing you can live with, but then be harsh to your liver and kidney. So the key is to work with your physician in order to find the best protocol to manage your symptom and to never stop taking a prescription medication without a doctor’s advice.