Robert Yaman of Kiran Meats compiled a comprehensive Patent Landscape spreadsheet of cellular/acellular agricultural patents. This is Part 2 in the series of cellular/acellular agriculture patent watch.
Modern Meadow, a New Jersey-based biotech startup founded in 2011 by Andras Forgacs, Francoise Marga, Gabor Forgacs, and Karoly Jakab. They are is widely known for creating animal-free leather in a lab which provides customers the ability to get modified leather products without harming any animals.
- Reinforced engineered biomaterials and methods of manufacture thereof, EP3215670A1
- Engineered leather and methods of manufacture thereof, US20160097109A1
- Engineered leather and methods of manufacture thereof, US20160348078A1
- Fiber reinforced tissue composites, WO2017053433A1
- Method for making electrocompacted leather, EP3205754A1
- COLLAGEN patent: Biofabricated material containing collagen fibrils, CA2958015A1
Unlike most of the startup companies working on these biomaterials, Nike Inc is a well-known athleticwear company that has been around since 1964. They have looking to use and commercialize breathable leather made from chicken feathers.
- Footwear and other products incorporating cultured leather, US9428817B2
Vitro Labs is a San Francisco Bay Area-based biotechnology startup founded in 2016. They are using 3D tissue engineering and stem cell-based technologies to develop the first fully-scalable tissue engineering platform.
- Engineered skin equivalent, the method of manufacture thereof and products derived therefrom, US20170306428A1