Biotechnology is one of the largest industrial sectors in terms of market value. It is a wide-ranging field that covers advancement in food and agriculture-based industries to research and development in medicine, genetic research, and bioengineering. In the United States alone, hundreds of biotech companies have cropped up in the past decade.
Table of Contents
Top Biotech Companies in the USA
Some of these companies provide biopharmaceutical research to advance innovation, development, and commercialization of drugs in areas of high unmet medical need. Other biotech companies provide services in genomics and proteomics, manufacture laboratory supplies, chemicals, and instruments. Below is a list of top 10 biotech companies in the USA based on their ranking and market capitalization.
1. Amgen Inc.
Amgen Inc., previously known as Applied Molecular Genetics (AMGen), is an American multinational biotech company based in Thousand Oaks, California. It was established in 1980 to develop innovative drugs serving areas of unmet medical need and is the world leader in biopharmaceuticals. In 2016, the company had a net income of $7.72B. According to Forbes magazine, Amgen is the world’s largest biotech company of 2018.
Market value = $120.3 B (2018)
- Enbrel, an anti-inflammatory drug against rheumatoid arthritis,
- Neulasta & Neupogen, closely related drugs used to prevent infections following chemotherapy, radiation poisoning, and HIV/AIDS
Established in 1987, in Foster City, California, Gilead Sciences, Inc. has strived to become US’s one of the top biotech companies. Gilead is a biopharmaceutical company that researches, develops and commercializes innovative medicines focusing primarily on antiviral drugs used in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, liver diseases (hepatitis B & hepatitis C), cancer, inflammatory and respiratory diseases, and cardiovascular conditions. The company’s net income in 2017 was $4.628 B.
Market capitalization = $90.4 B
- Harvoni and Sovaldi for Hepatitis C – these drugs cost about $1,000 per pill and have the cure rate of over 90%
Headquartered in Summit, New Jersey, Celgene Corporation is a competing company in the American biotechnology and biopharmaceutical sector. The company was started in 1986, and since then it is running to discover and develop medicines for cancer and inflammatory disorders. Celgene Corporation’s net income in 2016 was $2B.
Market value = $50.9 B
- Revlimid for the treatment of Multiple Myeloma and Anemia
- Vidaza for the treatment of Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)
4. Biogen Inc.
Biogen Inc., formerly known as Biogen Idec, is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was first established in 1978 in Geneva, Switzerland, but moved to the United States in 2003, after merging with California-based IDEC Pharmaceuticals. The company focuses on manufacturing and delivering therapies for the treatment of neurological, hematological, and autoimmune disorders. In 2017, this biotechnology company had a net income of $2.539 B.
Market value = $60.4 B
- Avonex, Plegridy, Tecfidera, Tysabri, and Fampyra for treatment of Multiple Sclerosis
- Eloctate for Hemophilia A
- Alprolix for Hemophilia B
- Gazyva for the treatment of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Rituxan for the treatment of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It is the first FDA-approved monoclonal antibody treatment.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was founded in 1989 in Boston, Massachusetts as a biopharmaceutical company. They have two research facilities – one in California, the USA and the other in Oxford, England. Vertex is one of the first biotech enterprises to follow a rational drug design strategy.
Market value = $43.3 B (2018)
- Telaprevir, a protease inhibitor for the treatment of Hepatitis C
- Orkambi, a combination drug of Lumacaftor and Ivacaftor, to treat Cystic Fibrosis in people with a mutation in the gene encoding CFTR protein
Illumina, Inc. was founded in 1998 in San Diego, California. It is one of the largest biotechnology companies to develop integrated systems for analysis of genetic variation and biological function through sequencing and array-based techniques. The portfolio of its products and services include whole-genome sequencing, genotyping, gene expression profiling, and proteomics as well as non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT). Illumina also sells DNA sequencers. Its customers range from academic institutions, genomic research centers to hospitals and clinical research organizations, pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies, and reference laboratories.
Market capitalization = $43.3 B (October 2018)
- Integrated systems for analysis of genetic variation and biological function through sequencing and array-based techniques
- DNA sequencer – their technology has helped reduce the cost of human genome sequencing from $1 million to $4,000.
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company based in Eastview, New York. It was founded in 1988 with a focus on inventing and manufacturing medicines in areas of high unmet medical need. The company has also developed a suite (VelociSuite) of patented technologies for genetic research, determining targets for therapeutic intervention and production of fully human monoclonal antibodies against tumor and viral antigens.
Market value = $35.6 B (October 2018)
- EYLEA injection for the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration,
- ARCALYST for specific, rare autoinflammatory conditions,
- ZALTRAP for colorectal cancer,
- PRALUENT for familial hypercholesterolemia or clinical atherosclerosis,
- DUPIXENT for atopic dermatitis
- KEVZARA for rheumatoid arthritis
Alexion was founded in 1992 and is based in Boston, Massachusetts. This biotechnology company also researches on autoimmune disorders and focuses on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, and rare metabolic and genetic disorders.
Market value = $25.9 B
- Soliris for rare disorders atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome and Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria
- Strensiq for Hypophosphatasia
- Kanuma for Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency
Based in San Rafael, California, BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. was founded in 1997 and has facilities in Asia, Europe, and South America. BioMarin is associated with developing and commercializing innovative biopharmaceuticals for rare diseases driven by genetic causes. The company focuses on enzyme replacement therapies. BioMarin was the first biopharmaceutical firm to provide therapeutics for mucopolysaccharidosis and phenylketonuria.
Market value = $17.3 B
- Palynziq and Kuvan for Phenylketonuria (PKU)
- Vimizim for Mucopolysaccharidosis IVA,
- Naglazyme for Mucopolysaccharidosis VI
- Aldurazyme for Mucopolysaccharidosis I
- Brineura for Batten disease
Agilent Technologies was established in 1999 as a public research, development, and manufacturing company. Headquartered in Santa Clara, California, the company provides laboratory supplies and instruments, services, software, and consumables. Their expertise lies in food safety, environmental and forensics, pharmaceutical (drug discovery and development), diagnostics and therapeutics, chemical and energy (alternative energy), and research (cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, autism and other ailments).
Market capitalization = $20 B (2018)
- Bioreagents for FISH probes, GC and HPLC, MS, immunohistochemistry, microarrays, spectroscopy, target enrichment
- Vacuum technologies