Contract Research Organization (CRO) provides all kinds of research services on contract. Increasingly, CROs are filling in the capacity gaps of the in-house research team for pharmaceutical and clinical research. Some CROs provide the entire gamut of services, starting from drug discovery to clinical trials and further
The two CRO terms – Contract Research Organization and Clinical Research Organization – are often used interchangeably. Whatever the full form is, CROs typically provide support to biopharma and medical devices companies for conducting clinical trials and preparing and submitting FDA filings. However, recently, CROs are playing a greater role in research activities as companies outsource various research and trial functions. Association of Clinical Research Organization (ACRO)
Top 10 CRO Companies of 2019
Based on analysis by IgeaHub, the top CRO Companies in the United States, based on Revenues are as following:
1. LabCorp (Laboratory Corporation of America) is headquartered in Burlington, North Carolina. While a majority of their revenue is from operating one of the largest networks of clinical laboratories in the world, LabCorp also owns Covance, a major CRO based in Princeton, New Jersey and has 36 Service Portfolio units.
2. IQVIA (formerly known as Quintiles IMS Holdings) is based in Durham, North Carolina. They focus primarily on Phase I-IV clinical trials and associated laboratory and analytical services, including consulting services. Of all the companies on this list, they have the highest number of service portfolio units.
3. SyneosHealth (formerly InVentiv Research and INC Research) is based in Raleigh, North Carolina. They focus on their ability to deliver integrated end-to-end solutions to develop and commercialize clinical therapies.
4. Parexel is based in Waltham, Massachusetts and is a global provider of biopharmaceutical process. They also conduct clinical trials on behalf of clients who are looking to expedite their drug approval process.
5. PRA Health Sciences is based in Raleigh, North Carolina. They provide two separate workstreams: clinical research and data solutions. They provide outsourced services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology services to clients worldwide in the two workstreams.
6. PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development, LLC) is based in Wilmington, North Carolina. They provide comprehensive integrated drug development, laboratory and lifecycle management services to clients globally.
7. Charles River Laboratories Internation Inc (CRL) is based in Wilmington, Massachusetts. They provide specialized services in a variety of clinical and pre-clinical research.
8. ICON Public Limited Corporation is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. They offer a range of consulting, development and commercialization services via their global network in 37 countries. This is the first company on this list which is not based in the United States.
9. WuXi Apptec is headquartered in Shanghai, China. They offer five core operation services: small molecule R&D and manufacturing, biologics R&D and manufacturing, cell therapy and gene therapy R&D and manufacturing, medical device testing, and molecular testing and genomics. This is the only company on the list which is based in Asia, and the only other company not based in the United States.
10. Medpace Holdings, Inc is headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their services focus on the development of drugs and medical devices.